Sunday, September 14, 2008

Graf #1 Hands

I know the name of this assignment is hands assignment but I believe in my case I will stick to just one of them. I think focusing on my right extremity will provide plenty of entertainment. I guess I will start with my pinky finger since it is so often overlooked and probably feels in last place the rest of the time. The poor little guy sports a jagged old scar beginning at its nail and wrapping around almost to the other side. This wound came from a hasty ascension up the stairs at my best friends mothers townhouse. I can't say now what was in the glass but as I neared the top of the stairs I tripped over one of the very last steps. Of course my friends mother had a touch of obsessive compulsive disorder but still had a dwelling covered with very light almost white carpeting. I never would have thought that small and forgotten finger could have become a Mount Rushmore of bright red color. Lets say she was less than impressed.
Traveling down the pinky and on to the round fleshy part of my right palm one will find a nice thick scar. I remember receiving this present when I was 18 and working at an electrical supply company down in Brunswick, Maine. My job there as a delivery boy also included lots of warehouse work around these big steel beamed racks. The first level of racks was about five feet of the concrete. It was close enough to climb up in even though it wasn't the best idea. Well, me in a brave and stupid moment decided to skip the fork lift and move some product around by hand. Everything went as planned until the time came to jump back down. As I planted my hand on the outside beam a jagged piece of metal ripped into my palm. Of course i was already in the downward motion of jumping off and very deep long cut was produced. My boss being the compassionate teddy bear that he was grabbed my hand and pulled the cut wide open to expose some of the meaty flesh inside my hand. “ yep, probably need some stitches,” he said calmly as I tried not retaliate on his pudgy face. Thanks for the advice Bob.
Well if your still reading this I'll finish up the road map of my hand with the pointer finger. This bad boy is pretty beat up. I guess i am lucky to have a scar and not a empty void. To make a long story short i took some major shrapnel while fighting in Iraq. I lost most of my right hip but kept my leg and everything else. I received small fragments all over the right side of my body but most without scarring. Except for a pretty good chunk which landed in the index finger. It was pretty terrible but most people that get close and personal with a rocket propelled grenade are not as lucky.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of inidividual detail, ministories, no wasted effort or padding, just brings it on. Works for me.

    ReplyDelete