Friday, February 13, 2009

Isearch Brainstormin '

Isearch brainstorm

Topic: How do I teach my lab to duck hunt?
What do I need to concentrate on?
Well there are the training aids. I could probably go into detail on the best training aids out there on the market as well some stuff around the house I can use.
I’ve looked and the equipment is expensive. I need to talk to some retailers as well as normal people who are familiar with duck hunting to see what is fluff and what I really need. I’m sure just like anything else that these companies pray on people just starting in the sport.

Exercises. My second section of the paper might focus on different activities and exercises I should be performing with my lab. From what I have read already, at least a small amount of time should be spent each day outdoors in a training environment. I need to find out how to send him on one line and then get him to switch lines while swimming or even running. I know from past experience he doesn’t like to listen while swimming. Will I need a whistle or will my voice be sufficient?
Somewhere in here I should include the history of hunting with labs and where it all started. I could relate to the first field trials of hunting dogs and when people first starting showing them off to the public. I could put in there where Labs come from and the vague history that we know about them.

My questions:
Training aids: dummies, whistles, electronic collars, neoprene dog vest, scents.etc…
Exercises: field trials, how much time a day? What is the best type of reward? (Treats, verbal?)

I need to look at the different resources available to me.
I.E. DVD’s, books, internet, experienced duck hunters (family, friends, outfitters), hunting dog training facilities.



Question 1= what are the training aids necessary?
Sub-questions= water or on dry land?
Expensive or home-made?
Accessible or something I need to order?
What is it that I really need? No fluff!
Question 2= what are the activities involved during training?
Sub-questions= How long are the exercises?
How much area do I need?
Does water have to be involved?
How safe are these electronic collars everyone uses?
Question 3 is probably number 1= Where do labs come from and why do they make great hunting dogs?
Sub-questions= Geographical location
Time period they were discovered in New Found land.
What went into their breeding?
What physical attributes helps in their quest?
Any other random history.

1 comment:

  1. This information and these questions look excellent. Will actual training or the start of it also be part of the isearch? Your best interview will be with Cash, you know.

    ReplyDelete